The Good Neighborhood Project of the Delaware Housing Coalition (DHC) is a long‐term project to meet the need for affordable, accessible, inclusive communities everywhere in Delaware by creating a more equitable geographic distribution of affordable housing.
Fair Share Housing
A “Fair Share” of affordable housing means a better geographic distribution of affordable housing, giving households greater choices and opportunities, while benefiting communities as a whole.
The Fair Share Housing Measure describes the additional affordable housing units that a community should make available in order for that community to bear an equitable geographic share of the total need.
Target Census Tracts
The Target Census Tracts are ones with greater choice and opportunity. They result from eliminating census tracts where more low-income housing would be undesirable. All Delaware census tracts were mapped for each of these variables, following which only the census tracts with all of the following characteristics were selected as targets: >$40,000 household median income,<15% poverty rate, <30% renter percentage,not in a racially or ethnically concentrated area, and within the state’s identified “growth zone”
- Has an extremely high positive economic impact
- Is of proven social benefit to the communities where it is situated
Affordable Housing Needs
- Cannot be met solely by focusing on the gap between incomes and housing cost or on the funding required to make housing affordable for poor Delawareans.
- Can only be met by addressing social, regulatory, and civic barriers to a more equitable geographic distribution of affordable housing and greater life opportunities.
Affordable Housing can and should be made available in:
- Mixed-income neighborhoods
- A variety of different housing types
- Healthful environments
- Proximity to open space, employment opportunities, public transportation, and well-performing public school districts
- Communities where unemployment, poverty, and crime are low
- Racially and ethnically diverse neighborhoods
- Neighborhoods with a diversity of work and professional backgrounds among heads of households.