A home should be a safe space where you can relax and spend time with yourself and your loved ones, where you feel comfortable and can grow as a person. That’s why we want to ensure that our homes are as pleasant as possible — which is a challenge when it’s unorganized.
A messy house is more problematic than people think. It hinders productivity, affects your mental health, and makes it hard to store items. Therefore, we created a list of steps to help you stow your belongings, free space, and keep things organized.
Step 1: Assess Your Belongings
The first thing you want to do is assess the situation. By taking the time to analyze what you own, you’ll simplify everything and save yourself lots of headaches. To start, you can:
- Categorize your belongings.
- Determine what items you use regularly.
- Decide which items are essential or have emotional value and should be kept in a unique location.
Be ruthless throughout this process. Throw away the things you don’t need to make it easier on yourself.
Step 2: Choose the Right Solutions
Now that you’ve assessed, categorized, and organized your belongings (and eliminated unnecessary items), you can start thinking about what you want to achieve for the area.
Do you want more space or for the area to look better? Perhaps a mix of both? Choosing the proper storage solution comes down to what you want to achieve and what your needs are. But don’t worry; we have some suggestions to guide you.
Step 3: Creative and Practical Storage Techniques
Thinking outside of the box is a great way to come up with storage solutions.
We’ve compiled a quick list of creative, practical, and innovative techniques for your storage problems that are guaranteed to help, starting with:
- Creative storage solutions for everyday household items: You can use a shoe rack to store plenty of things (not just shoes) and a drawer divider to organize kitchen supplies, tools, or personal items. Get creative and see how something unexpected can relieve your storage needs.
- Practical storage solutions for small rooms, apartments, and tiny houses: Solving space problems in compact locations requires maximizing whatever storage space you have. Store things under the bed. Rely on closets and drawers. Use over-the-door organizers.
- Innovative storage solutions that double as decor: You can also be innovative while improving your house’s aesthetics. For instance, you can:
- Install wall-mounted shelves and hanging baskets: This creates extra space from the walls, which can be used with other tools to add more space. And if you do it right, they’ll also serve as decoration.
- Multi-functional furniture with built-in storage: If you are struggling with space, furniture that fulfills multiple needs is a must. Good examples are a writing desk with multiple drawers and a closet with built-in shelves.
- Custom closet systems and storage units: If all else fails, you can always rely on custom-made furniture to fit specific locations and add ample space to your house.
- Converting old VHS tapes to digital format to reduce disorder while preserving memories: Countless households own old photos, albums, and VHS tapes. These days you can convert VHS tapes into digital formats, as well as photos and albums, to save a lot of space and protect your memories.
Now that you have plenty of ideas on what to do, you’re ready to DIY!
Step 4: DIY Storage Solutions
Many people love the idea of do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. It’s a fun way to solve problems while testing your creativity and crafting skills. And sometimes, it can help save money, too.
There are many useful television shows and YouTube videos that offer excellent DIY tips and tricks for storage solutions. We recommend fetching ideas from DIY gurus for a fresh perspective on how to tackle your storage project.
Step 5: Maintenance and Organization
Believe it or not, houses need maintenance, not only to keep things in good shape but to maintain organization. That’s why things like buying furniture or converting old movies are essential: It guarantees your house stays organized and spacious.
Although keeping your house organized is a challenge, it’s a goal that’s worth fighting for. Use these creative and practical space-saving and storage tips to improve your living space. Once you finish and notice the reward, you won’t regret starting the journey!